What Are Sleep Disorders?
Sleep disorders are a change in the way you sleep, such as changes in your sleep-wake cycles, difficulty breathing, feeling sleepy during the day or having a hard time falling or staying asleep. Sleep is critical to the proper functioning of our bodies’ systems, so any deterioration of sleep quality can lead to negative health effects and even put us in danger. For example, sleep deprivation can affect our ability to drive or operate machinery safely. Sleep disorders can also be grouped according to behaviors, problems with your natural sleep-wake cycles, breathing problems, difficulty sleeping or how sleepy you feel during the day.
Common Sleep Disorders And How To Spot Them
Here’s what you need to know about sleep disorders and some symptoms that can help you identify if you, or a loved one, may have one.
4 Symptoms Sleep Disorders
- Increased Daytime Sleepiness
- Irregular Breathing During Sleep
- Increased Movement During Sleep
- Difficulty Falling Asleep
The Most Common Sleep Disorders
Some of the most common types of sleep disorders are:
- Insomnia: nighttime wakefulness which prevents you from falling or staying asleep at night.
- Sleep apnea: abnormal breathing patterns during sleep.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS, or Willis-Edbom disease): a disorder which causes an uncomfortable urge to move your legs as you fall asleep.
- Narcolepsy: an extreme sensation of sleepiness during the day that can lead to falling asleep suddenly.
We Can Help
An accurate diagnosis can make a world of difference in treating a sleep disorder. At Lyracore Pulmonary Health, we utilize leading-edge technology and research to accurately diagnose sleep disorders. Our compassionate staff will work to understand the underlying conditions contributing to your sleep difficulties and help you get the rest you need.
Questions or concerns about your sleep quality? We’re here to help. REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT